Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Reflections

Hello 05!


Instead of touching on content since there is already an abundance of information from our notes, I am going to blog on my reflections about the entire module.


Earlier on, I have never realised the importance and usefulness of understanding things instead of purely memorising them. As such, much time was wasted pouring through notes trying to memorise every bit of information I could before examinations and tests. However, through the many times we spent uncovering numerous ‘mysteries’ such as “How are seasons/deserts formed?” as well as hands on activities like visiting a ‘secret’ drainage basin in NJC and creating tiny clouds, I began to realise that I was employing the wrong study techniques. In fact, understanding things and knowing how to apply them is actually more useful than memorising them.


This module also led me to appreciate the way things are and how they work together to form a huge system. Previously, while I understood what global warming and climate change was, I did not know that there was actually something called the ‘planetary heat balance’ and how everything actually worked and affected each other. Furthermore, the notion of ‘how rivers/meanders/waterfalls are formed’ never once came into my mind despite the fact that I had seen them first-hand.


I have realised the importance of appreciating what we humans are given (earth, climate, etc). It has taught me invaluable information that I would not have been able to learn anywhere else, and geography, to me, is not that boring after all!



-Chang Jie


No comments:

Post a Comment